Monday, September 19, 2011

My Diet Survived the Cruise!

It's been a while since I posted. We actually got back from our cruise a couple of weeks ago. The weather when we got home was up in the high 80s/low 90s, very unusual for the PNW. Our first real summer weather.

I gained about 6 pounds on the cruise. I started out trying to eat healthy, sticking with salads and no dessert for the first few days. But the salads, to be honest, weren't that great, not anywhere near as good as the ones I make at home or can get at local restaurants. So I ended up feeling rather unsatisfied. I decided to splurge, and on about the third day I discovered the lunchtime dessert bar/buffet. I was on vacation, so I ate me some sweets. On looking back, I'm not convinced they were really worth it. But they did add to the enjoyment of the cruise. I've lost the 6 pounds, and today went for my first walk since I got back.

We ate out one night at the fancy on-board restaurant, and had chocolate souffle for dessert that night. THAT was most definitely worth it!



A week or so after we returned home, I came down with a cold, which was miserable. I had no energy, but also no appetite. So I didn't immediately get back into exercising/walking, but at least I wasn't over-eating. Basically, I was surviving on chicken soup and cough drops.

Anyway, want to see pictures of my cruise? They have very little to do with my diet or the chicken challenge. But the vacation sure did contribute to my mental health.

Me on the verandah of our cabin

A view of our cabin

Sailing into the sunset

The view from our cabin on the first day -- Canada's Inside Passage

The atrium of the ship, the Disney Wonder

Sailing along Tracy Arm Fjord, a waterfall streaming straight down the sheer cliff

Iceberg!

The landscape was so primordial.

The color of the water is the result of glacial silt, it looks tropical, but it isn't!

The Sawyer Glacier at the end of the fjord

That horizontal line where the vegetation stops marks where the glacier used to be only a few years ago.

The ship stopped in Skagway, Alaska, and we took an excursion to the Yukon Territory, where prospectors used to search for gold.

We stopped in a town called Carcross, and visited a Husky trainer/breeder, where you could get a ride on a wagon pulled by dogs.


Although it was quite cool for us, for the dogs it was hot work, so she was spraying them off with water and filling their water dishes after every run to cool them down.

I got to feed the puppies treats!

Aren't they adorable?

Our next stop was Juneau, where we hiked about 3/4 mile to see the Mendenhall Glacier.



A waterfall beside the glacier

Some intrepid kayakers

At our next stop, Ketchikan, we took a floatplane to a salmon hatchery, where we got to watch black bears catching and eating salmon.

We got a good view of the ship from the plane.

View from the window of the plane



Can you see the bear in the center of the picture, fishing in the stream?

I had to crank up the zoom on my point-and-shoot camera. As we stood there, several bears came out of the woods on the opposite side of the stream.

A blue heron was hanging around, hoping to get a few morsels of fish.

As we stood there, another bear came out of the woods behind us and passed about 20 feet away, heading for the water.







When he was done, he headed back into the woods.

Well, I hope you enjoyed coming along on my Alaskan adventure. We had a great time, and I didn't let it derail my diet! I am back on track and losing again.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, did we enjoy this trip with you? Absolutely! The scenery is quite overwhelming and the colour of the water, the icebergs and glacier incredible. The close encounter with the bears must have been thrilling. They seem to be so unperturbed by human gawpers! The huskies are beautiful and how lucky you were to be allowed to treat those gorgeous pups! Our rescue pup, Coco is part labrador, part husky (we call her a huskador). It was lovely to see her relatives in their almost natural state. Your cruise ship was beautiful and you had such a lovely cabin. Having your own balcony would have been the cherry on top. The views from there were breathtaking, almost close enough to reach out and touch. You both looked so happy in your pictures and I can honestly see you've trimmed down, Alison (since the picture your friend took of you on the day you went to see all those properties with chickens in their backyards). You are looking great. I'm so pleased to know you managed to stay on track and that you've lost the few pounds gained on your trip. Well done!

    It's great to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, wonderful to hear from you again! I'm so glad to hear the trip was fun, what accommodations you had...wow! The waterfalls are huge there and the bears, well, I would have been leery of them, but I guess they had their fill of fish and didn't need to eat any tourists, right? I read somewhere the average person on a cruise gains a whole bunch of weight because of the abundance of food, food, everywhere. What will power you have! Good for you; all the weight you have lost, I have found. And then some. My dreams of being 60 pounds lighter for my upcoming class reunion are kaput (unless I can do it in two weeks??) Oh, well, I keep walking and watching what I eat. What else can I do? You look wonderful---would you mind going to my reunion and impersonating me? I'd really appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what happened to you! Welcome back! What a great trip you had! Alaska is my favorite! But those bears - they were so close to you! We had one bear recently in our neighborhood, he was helping himself with hummingbird feeders.
    I hope you feel OK after that cold !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures! My favorite is the blue heron shot--with the ripple in the water!
    Glad to hear you can enjoy yourself on the cruise with out setting yourself back too far! Are you on track for chickens in the spring 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the first photo of you on the deck. You look so happy. I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. I've always wanted to see Alaska. Good luck on your challenge. Do you know what kind of chickens you want. I love the way silkys look. Keep walking, that has always been my cure all for losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shots are amazing, I had no idea there was so much diversity in a Alaskan cruise....

    Oh, and the deserts...well of course you have to eat them. Life is too short not to.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful places, wonderful photographs, magic views, I am congratulating on the fantastic expedition:) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was good to read about your Alaskan adventure because we have taken to cruising and have this one on our list. It reminds me of the glaciers and waterfalls in NZ. Don't you just love all that pampering on board? Such a shock when you get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I hadn´t seen this blog Alison, I´m impressed with these landscapes and the bears...and the size of the fish they catch! I must go there some day!

    ReplyDelete

Some encouragement from readers would be most "egg"cellent!